As an immediate response, we are offering to fund up to ten Emergency Fellowships for Ukrainian Researchers throughout the year, to allow them the opportunity to continue their scientific work in Israel.
- The application process will take place solely through the rectors of Israel’s universities.
- The funds will be distributed from the Academy to the universities, for them to directly support the researchers.
- The fellowships will be for the duration of up to three months, with an option for an extension of two more months. The fellowships will cover international travel costs for the researcher, and lodging and living expenses, up to a total of at most 25,000 NIS (ca. 7,600 USD) per researcher for the three-month period.
I. The fellowship program is open to candidates of Ukrainian Nationality who reside in the Ukraine at the time of their application or who left the Ukraine after the start of the invasion by the Russian Federation in February 2022.
II. The fellowship program is open to candidates from all academic disciplines.
III. The candidates must hold a PhD degree.
IV. The candidates should be researchers affiliated with a Ukrainian university or research institute, or members of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
V. Candidates are required to have been accepted as visiting researchers at one of the following Israeli universities (in alphabetical order): Ariel University, Bar-Ilan University, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Open University of Israel, Reichman University, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Tel Aviv University, University of Haifa, Weizmann Institute of Science.
The fellowships will be awarded based on academic excellence, without regard to religion, gender, age or ethnicity.
The following material should be submitted by the rector of the host institute, in English, in a single PDF file per candidate, in the following order:
1. Letter of commitment on formal letterhead to host the candidate for up to 3 months.
2. CV and List of Publications.
3. One page description of the candidate’s proposed research.
The submission file should be sent to Mrs. Batsheva Shor, The Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities, at the following address: Ukrainians@academy.ac.il
with the subject “Application Material for Dr./Prof. NAME OF CANDIDATE”.
A committee comprising members of the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities will evaluate the candidates based on academic and research excellence and will decide on the awardees.
Awardees’ and Host Institutions’ Commitments:
1. The host university must report any change in or termination of the awardee's visit.
2. Any publication resulting from the research activities conducted during the research visit should acknowledge the support of the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities.
3. The awardees are allowed to receive additional fellowships in the same period.
4. The fellowship will not be subject to any overhead charges.