Acquiring postdoctoral training abroad, a crucial step in advancing their career tracks, may pose a particular challenge to Israel’s promising young women scientists. In 2016, Prof. Ruth Arnon, former Israel Academy President and Chair of the CHE's Committee for Furthering Women in Institutions for Higher Education, resolved to encourage and support Adams alumnae seeking to travel abroad for postdoctoral training by establishing a dedicated fund to assist them. Awardees, selected solely on the basis of excellence in research, receive fellowships of $20,000 USD.
At the committee meeting held together with the Adams Fellowships Committee meeting on March 17, 2021, the following two winners were chosen to divide the fellowship between them:
- Anael Ben-Asher, who did her PhD in quantum chemistry under the supervision of Prof. Nimrod Moiseyev at the Technion and will do her postdoctoral studies in the group of Prof. Johannes Feist at the Condensed Matter Physics Center (IFIMAC) at the Autonomous University of Madrid in Spain.
- Yael Korem Kohanim, who did her PhD under the supervision of Prof. Uri Alon at the Weizmann Institute of Science and will do her postdoctoral studies at the lab of Prof. Jimmie Chun Ye in UCSF, California in the USA.
Former winners of the Ruth Arnon Fellowships are:
- Ayelet Arazi, who is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf in Germany.
- Bracha Laufer-Goldshtein, who is a Postdoctoral Fellow at MIT in various fields of engineering, such as harmonic analysis, statistic machinery and signal processing.
- Avia Raviv Moshe, who is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Simmons Center for Geometry and Physics at Stony Brook University in New York.
- Dr. Sharon Fleischer, who is a Postdoctoral Fellow in Biomedical Engineering at Columbia University, USA.
- Dr. Sophia Buhbut-Sinai, who is a Postdoctoral Fellow in Nano Materials Science at the University of Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Dr. Rivka Bekenstein, who is a Postdoctoral Fellow in Physics at Harvard University, USA.
Top left: Bracha Laufer-Goldshtein, Academy Director Galia Finzi, Academy President Prof. Nili Cohen, Coordinator of the Ruth Arnon Fellowships program Batsheva Shor and Avia Raviv Moshe. Bottom Left: Ayelet Arazi, Chair of the Adams Fellowships and Ruth Arnon Fellowships Program Steering & Approval Committee Academy Member Prof. Moshe Oren, Former President of the Academy and Fellowships donor Prof. Ruth Arnon during the Zoom ceremony.